PLEASE NOTE: Our opportunities are for a minimum of a 6 month commitment.
Our Befrienders provide one-to-one support to members of the local community who are feeling isolated and struggling to leave their homes.
You will empower community members over the phone and in person to gradually get back out and connect with other people through a flexible approach.
What do Befrienders do?
- Engage with your ‘matched’ service user over the phone and in person.
- Empower them to attend groups and engage in their local community.
- Be a good listener with the ability to signpost to relevant services.
- Develop the role and make it your own depending on the needs of yourself and the service user.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Attend befriending training where you will learn and develop your befriending skills
- Engage with your new peer support network of other befrienders.
- Engage your empathetic and active listening skills to empower individuals experiencing isolation.
- Accompany service users to groups and activities as mutually agreed.
Skills acquired: Communication Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Decision Making, Mental Health, Problem Solving, Active Listening, Organisation and Timekeeping.