Mentally Healthy Leeds (MHL) is a preventative mental health service that works with people at risk of experiencing poor mental health. We aim to give people experience and understanding they can use to prevent problems developing or becoming too much to handle. Our service is delivered in a community development approach, this means that we treat individuals and communities as assets looking at what is strong, rather than what is wrong.
- Set up social groups and activities for the community chosen by the community. This has previously included natural skin care, music, art and photography. Our groups and activities connect individuals to build confidence, friendships and reduce social isolation.
- Provide groups on stress management, relaxation and self-esteem with the aims of strengthening people’s resilience (ability to bounce back) and confidence.
- We deliver mental health awareness training to communities. Our mental health awareness training is also available to workforces and professionals who are working with individuals who are at risk of experiencing poor mental health.
Encourage positive conversations about Mental Health and delivering talks at community events in order to reduce stigma and discrimination.
- MHL also has a volunteer program, upon completion of our one day training course volunteers are able to work alongside the team in a variety of ways including assisting with groups, admin and promotion. Volunteering with MHL also provides individuals with access to Touchstone’s fantastic internal training sessions; this includes adult safe guarding, co-production etc.
- Become an Anti-Stigma Champion, work towards reduce stigma and discrimination against mental health by sharing your story and empowering other to share theirs.
We are currently working with women aged 16-24 and men aged 30-60, as well as people who do not assign themselves to these gender categories within the following areas of Leeds:
- Burmantofts and Richmond Hill
- Gipton and Harehills
- Farnley and Wortley
Mentally Healthy Leeds will also work towards the Leeds City Council and Public Health priority to reduce suicide and self-harm.
Touchstone led MHL, the service is delivered in partnership with Community Links, TCV and Oblong.
If you are interested in accessing our service or simply want to know more about what we do, please contact one of our team members on 0113 248 4880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.